The Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) is the largest medical college in the nation and the only Academic Health Center in the osteopathic profession. As part of LECOM Health, LECOM actively collaborates with numerous community-based organizations and neighboring institutions in Northwest Pennsylvania. LECOM’s geriatric infrastructure is now the most complete continuum of care in the region. In 2015, LECOM established the Lake Erie Integrated Geriatrics Health Team (LIGHT), a multifaceted group of providers, educators, and community-based organizations committed to promoting excellence in geriatrics education, training, and service provision.
The LIGHT Project provides a platform for integrating geriatric primary care with Home and Community Based Services (HCBS), other caregiver supports, and a revitalized geriatrics training landscape that includes external educational institutions. LIGHT maximizes impact by integrating and enhancing the LECOM education infrastructure with the array of geriatrics service lines through LECOM Health and community resources. These efforts are enriched by collaborative activities with partnering organizations including multiple nursing schools, Area Agencies on Aging (AAA) in several counties, and local non-profit organizations such as the Alzheimer’s Association, Meals on Wheels, and the Rotary Club.
The geriatric-related service units in LECOM Health include:
- LECOM Institute for Successful Aging (LISA), an ambulatory geriatric clinic for primary and specialty care, and consultative services
- Millcreek Community Hospital (MCH) Acute Care for the Elderly (ACE) Unit
- MCH Geriatric Behavioral Health Care Unit
- MCH Geriatric Inpatient Rehabilitation Unit
- MCH Transitional Care Unit
- LECOM Senior Living Center, a skilled nursing facility
- Additional LECOM Senior Living Communities, offering a full continuum of care: Regency at South Shore, Parkside North East, Parkside Westminster
- LECOM Medical Fitness and Wellness Center, a geriatrics-oriented wellness center
- LifeWorks Erie, a Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) provider
- Visiting Nurses Association (VNA)